In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson; if you think the going is rough, you’ve never been to Australia
- Australia doesn’t make waves. Except for swimming and drowning.
- Australian aborigines are quite remarkable. Except they’re criminally ignored.
- Australia has a lovely biosphere. Except it’s been trying to kill people since white settlers stepped on its shores. Quite successfully too.
- Australia’s history is full of crazy people who do great things. Except it’s usually by accident.
- Australia is full of potential. Except people don’t actually have much of an idea of what’s out there.
- Australia reminds Bryson of the 1950’s. Except dryer and bigger.
- Australia is quite lovely. Except– well, no, it’s just quite lovely.