- This Is an Uprising by Mark Engler, Paul Engler ★★★★★
- Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela ★★★★☆
- Omega Rising by Jessica Meats ★★★☆☆
- Blank Spaces by Cass Lennox ★★★☆☆
- If I Understood You, Would I Have This Look on My Face? by Alan Alda ★★☆☆☆
- The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde ★☆☆☆☆
- Book Watching: Upcoming adaptations and a definite to-read list.
- Today’s Book Blurb: Universe Builders
- [Pitch Slapped] A look at 600 recent review requests
- Book Watching: So many TV-comic adaptations…
- Today’s Book Blurb: Pretty Cover Edition
Onward to October! What’s on your to-read list?
Want to buddy read something?
What were your thoughts on The Everything Box? I read it last year but haven’t seen much others reading it.
I thought each standalone scene was fun and interesting, but all together, it was oddly disjointed and didn’t really mesh well. (Also the weird romantic subplot felt 100% off.)
Overall, I feel like I would LOVE this as a movie or show adaptation (a la Ocean’s Eleven), but it didn’t click for me as a book.
What did you think of it?
I’m so glad you said that. I felt like it was trying to do waaaay too much in one book. I know he released a second one but…meh
As a short series (like Black Mirror or something) it would be a masterpiece.
YES. Each character and backstory was clever and cool, and I would totally want to know more about the angels and demons and all the other character, but together I ended up coming to the end of each chapter and thinking, “How is there still 75% of the book left?”
(Also, oddly enough, this book reminded me of Artemis Fowl. Is it just me?)
I only read one AF book and didn’t like it (don’t hate me)…
Is it your first time reading A Wrinkle in Time? It’s one of my all-time favorites from childhood.
It’s a reread – the movie coming out reminded me that I remember loving the book…and literally nothing about the actual story! I first read it in middle school forever ago.